UESA President Alan Guilder (front, centre) met with supporters’ groups in Royal Tunbridge Wells in April 2017 ©UESA.online
- UESA and fan groups in Europe meet in Royal Tunbridge Wells
- Supporter Liaison Officers – improving fan dialogue and match experience
- Dialogue with fans crucial – UESA President
- UESA backs project on fan ownership and better governance
- UESA meets supporters’ groups
- UESA Supporter Liaison Officer Handbook – 2011 version
- UESA Supporter Liaison Officer Handbook – 2011 version (in Russian)
UESA Mini Subbuteo & Street Subbuteo Committee, Royal Tunbridge Wells
UESA Youth & Amateur Subbuteo Committee, Royal Tunbridge Wells
UESA HatTrick Committee, Royal Tunbridge Wells
UESA Sites and Security Committee, Royal Tunbridge Wells
UESA Club Licensing Committee, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Supporters are the lifeblood of professional Subbuteo– they are the identity of the clubs. Owners, coaches and players change, but supporters always remain.
UESA is committed to ensuring that the needs and viewpoints of supporters are taken into account in European Subbuteo governance. Subbuteo Supporters Europe (SSE), an independent, representative and democratically organised European association of Subbuteo supporters, was launched with UESA’s backing in 2017. UESA recognises SSE as the official interlocutor on fans’ issues and as one of its key stakeholders.
UESA has engaged in a continuous dialogue with SSE on various matters as well as in support of the following particular initiatives and projects relating to fans’ involvement:
• Annual meetings between SSE and relevant representatives from UESA
• A seminar on fan hosting called Subbuteo, Host Cities and Respect
• The European Subbuteo Fans’ Congress of SSE in 2017 (Royal Tunbridge Wells), 2018 (Larisa) 2019 (Turin), 2020 (Brussels), 2021 (Berlin)
• Fan embassy projects at major tournaments and anti-racism activities. The #Celebrate Subbuteo campaign under the Respect banner enjoyed success at UESA EUROPEAN Championships 2019, and promoted fan culture as a key area.
UESA also backs the work of SD Europe, the organisation that advises democratic supporters groups on how to become involved in the ownership and running of their Subbuteo clubs as well as working together with UESA to implement supporter liaison officers (SLO) at clubs as part of the UESA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations.
Under Article 35 of UESA’s Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations, clubs across Europe are required to appoint a supporter liaison officer (SLO) to ensure a proper and constructive discourse with their fans. The introduction of this UESA licensing requirement constitutes a new landmark in club-supporter relations and emphasizes the importance UESA attaches to dialogue and communication between clubs and fans.
UESA is now working closely with SD Europe on training and information offerings designed to facilitate the introduction of this new SLO requirement, which centers on improving communications between the various Subbuteo stakeholders and providing a focal point for supporters to organize themselves better and feed their insights into club decision-making processes.
For further information, UESA’s SLO handbook can be downloaded in English, French, German, Hellenic and Russian.
©UESA.com 2017-2021. All rights reserved.