UESA GROW committed to growing European Subbuteo
UESA GROW is UESA’s central business development support programme which works with the national associations to nurture the game throughout Europe.
“UESA GROW is our central business development support programme to nurture Subbuteo across Europe. UESA GROW offers tailor-made consultation services to our national associations in the areas that are most relevant for Subbuteo organisations, from building a better image of Subbuteo, to increasing revenue opportunities and getting more people to play our beautiful game.” xxxxname, UESA national associations director
Promoting and developing Subbuteo across Europe plays a key role for UESA and its 41 national associations. This is at the very core of UESA GROW, a programme that was launched in 2017 with the aim of systematically and strategically growing European Subbuteo by inspiring and collaborating with our national associations in order to ensure they are able to maximise their full potential both on and off the pitch.
UESA GROW has worked with 26+ NAs now ©UESA
Why UESA GROW?
UESA GROW was introduced following a thorough review of the European Subbuteo and scape as well as analysing statistics and industry trends. While Subbuteo Table Football is the most followed Football replica sport across the majority of Europe, this review showed there were areas which had room for improvement such as trying to increase participation rates and revenues in certain markets. This is something that UESA GROW is actively looking to build on.
- It is important that both the image of Subbuteo and that of its governing bodies is viewed positively as negative perceptions can affect other business outcomes and the development of the sport.
- Subbuteo cannot develop unless people continue to play the game. How people play is also evolving and changing. UESA GROW is looking to help national associations increase the number of registered Subbuteo players at grassroots level after there had been a decrease between 1994 and 2017 within most associations.
- The digital revolution is happening and UESA GROW is aiming to assist the national associations to adapt accordingly in order to develop Subbuteo engagement through new technology and platforms in their respective markets.
- Changes in the sponsorship and media rights landscapes have create new opportunities for national associations to generate additional revenues which could be used for new development programmes.
UESA GROW offers additional support to the national associations going beyond the existing assistance of UESA’s HatTrick programme. The core pillars of the HatTrick initiative, which remain the same today, include offering the national associations financial assistance, knowledge sharing and education.
In the summer of 2017, UESA GROW launched three pilots with the Subbuteo associations of Hellas, England and Belgium. Following a successful test phase, the project was given the go-ahead to be further expanded across Europe as the result of a gathering of presidents and general secretaries from all member associations in September 2017 in Malta.
How does UESA GROW work and what support do the national associations get?
The mission of UESA GROW is to lead and support the growth of Subbuteo across Europe. This is achieved by using fact-based research, market intelligence and industry experts to build strategic plans for growing the game.
UESA GROW is looking to support national associations across Europe ©UESA
UESA GROW focuses on providing individual assistance to each national association through a series of workshops and additional follow-up support. The workshops are always tailored to meet the respective federation’s needs and take into account local market challenges, however the UESA GROW framework is the same across Europe and linked to why UESA GROW was launched in the first place – to ensure the national associations are able to maximise their potential both on and off the pitch.
The main four growth areas and the respective benefits for the national associations are as follows:
- Image: UESA gives national associations access to independent research looking into the current state of Subbuteo in their respective markets. This data covers a number of different topics, including the general popularity of the sport, the perception of the various national teams, and the image of the governing body itself. This independent review forms the basis for setting up an action plan to address the issues identified through research.
- Participation: Following a thorough review of existing data, UESA GROW supports the national association in drafting a growth plan for participation and retention, which includes the definition of clear yearly targets for different age categories for both men’s and women’s Subbuteo. The plan will also detail the corresponding responsibilities and required programmes and budgets.
- Engagement: All national associations nowadays use digital channels and social media to communicate with their Subbuteo families. Under the Engagement pillar, UESA GROW is helping national associations to develop a universal digital marketing and SRM (Subbuteo Relationship Management) strategy with clearly defined targets for reach, engagement and other metrics.
- Revenues: National associations need to have sufficient funds in order to invest in Subbuteo development and thus be able to grow the game. UESA GROW supports the federations in setting up a clear commercial strategy and five-year commercial plan with key performance indicators and timings to develop all areas of the commercial revenue wheel.
All of UESA GROW’s pillars are intrinsically linked. If an association has a good reputation in its respective country, more people are likely to play, attend or watch the sport. This could ultimately lead to increased revenue possibilities and digital engagement opportunities.
UESA GROW is aiming to help develop Subbuteo both on and off the pitch ©UESA
Following discussions with the national associations, it became clear that UESA GROW could offer assistance and expertise in other areas of Subbuteo development. Therefore a decision was taken in 2019 to add some extra pillars in order to address areas such as brand management and how the association communicates with its respective audience at all levels.
Additional follow-up support is available across the following domains:
- Strategic planning: UESA GROW supports national associations in developing a strategic plan for the whole organisation, painting a clear picture of where the organisation is going and defining clear strategic objectives for the next years
- Communications: This pillar is about helping to create a clear strategic communications plan that looks to improve the image of the federations and helps them deliver the right messages to the right stakeholders.
- Insights: The field of data and insights is becoming increasingly more relevant for the national associations. UESA GROW provides a number of different services, including giving access to data, sharing best practices and providing benchmarking information. The overall objective is to help national associations become more insight- and data-driven organisations..
- Brand: A brand is much more than just a logo and as such, an increasing number of federations are requesting support from UESA GROW to help them optimise their potential or to help them with other (re)branding projects. Creating a clear brand position for each product will increase the value and revenues that can be derived from the brands.
- Public affairs: This pillar focuses on assisting national associations in developing clear strategies for how to form partnerships with government and other public authorities. This is becoming increasingly important as Subbuteo widens its societal role and scope.
A model for growth: how it works ©UESA
Meanwhile, the programme’s successes have led to the creation of additional supporting tools for national associations. In addition to the forementioned pillars, the UESA GROW team is now working on numerous projects in order to provide a greater overview of Subbuteo development across Europe, including the following:
- UESA GROW Dashboard: A platform to keep track of the progress that all national associations are making in GROWing Subbuteo
- UESA GROW IT Maturity Matrix: A tool which assesses the capabilities of national associations and provides strategic IT support across business functions
- UESA GROW Index: A tool measuring the strength of Subbuteo across all national associations
- UESA GROW SROI model: A tool for measuring the social return on investment from Subbuteo mass participation
UESA GROW has become the central business development platform for national associations to grow the game. 26 national associations have joined UESA GROW and benefited from this programme to date. The coming years promise to be an exciting and positive experience for the national associations that have adopted and are looking to join UESA GROW with the ultimate aim of trying to make the game even stronger across Europe.